Saturday, March 14, 2009

Last Night I Dreamt of San Pedro...

Is this really the San Pedro Madonna was singing about?? I can't imagine that Madonna would be caught dead here. Actually, it was more like I wandered around San Pedro semi-aimlessly until I found a bar that looked good. I'd eaten a late lunch at Ramon's so I wasn't really hungry, but when I came across Caliente on the beach (no Claire, it wasn't THAT Caliente) at around 9:00, something about it really beckoned to me. After an hour, two Belikins and a plate of guacamole, I was ready to call it a day. Having been up for almost 20 hours straight, I needed to head to bed. The beach here really comes alive at night though--all of the outdoor bars and restaurants open up with fun lights and decorations, live music, and plenty of local rum; but if you're looking for nightlife like Cancun or Alcapulco (minus the drug cartels shooting at you), then you should really go to Cancun or Acapulco. Nothing here is overly fancy of pretentious (although there is a tapas bar I came across that looks like it might (big emphasis on the might) fit in on South Beach. Everyone seems to be having a good time here, and that's how the locals seem to want to keep it.

When I woke up this morning I just assumed I'd caught up on all the sleep I'd needed and figured it was 10:30 or so in the morning. My watch said 7:00. Damn. So I went into town to find something to eat, and came a across a lovely bakery where I got some kind of funky local juice and a cinnamon role the size of a dinner plate. All together, it set me back $1.75. I was happy. I roamed around the town some more and found some places for the group to eat, so I think we're covered on that front. Every one else gets here later today and the volunteer work starts bright and early Monday---fixing shutters, organizing the library, building a tool shed, and painting.

Weather's still unbelievable here--mid to upper 80's, breezy and not a single cloud in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment